Once you’ve been successful in getting rid of ants once, the last thing you want is for them to reappear and to have to start over.
So, once our pest control technicians have been in and treated your home, there are a few simple steps you can take to prevent ants from coming into your home again.
Prevent ants by looking after your food
The main reason ants come into your home is to look for food and one of the most obvious signs of ants is them running over your kitchen surfaces or cupboards.
So, one of the best ways to stop ants coming into your home is to look after your food. Often they are attracted to sweet food. But, depending on their variety and the stage of life they are at they may also seek savoury food items so treat all food in the same way.
Indoors make sure you:
- Clear up spillages promptly - especially sweet or sticky food and liquids
- Clear up food crumbs from around your kitchen appliances - toasters are a key place to keep clean
- Make sure your floor is clear of crumbs, especially around the fridge and cupboard doors
- If you have a pet only give them the amount of food that they will eat in a reasonable time. Don’t leave food sitting out all day if you don’t need to.
Outdoors make sure you:
- Clear up food from outdoor entertaining or food for pets who live outdoors, to avoid attracting ants to your perimeter.
- Keep a lid on your compost and keep rubbish bins sealed and away from the kitchen doors and windows if possible.
You should also keep food in your fridge and pantry stored in closed packets or containers or covered to avoid ants being able to get to it.
Another good way of preventing ants from returning is by filling any entrances they might be using. If there are cracks around your windows or doors seal them using a sealant from your local DIY store.
Lastly you can try and disrupt ants by cleaning over any ant trails you see. Ants use a chemical to tell other ants where to go. Therefore, if you notice a few ants travelling the same way in a line you could try cleaning that area to disrupt the smell.
Is your ant problem bigger than you thought? Call the experts at Smash’d Em Pest Control
If you are suffering from ants running rampant in your home, then you need to deal with the immediate problem before taking preventative measures.
Call us and one of our expert technicians can help you work out how to get rid of ants in your home. We’ll suggest an effective solution based on the type of ant you have and where the nests are located.